viernes, 13 de febrero de 2015

The Lord has really captured my heart...

(Sr. M. Antonietta Go RGS, passed away on February 4, 2015 in Cebu City, after 38 years in religious life. Here is her story.)

MY VOCATION STORY

When I was about eight years old I got smitten with the nuns of Asilo de la Milagrosa or the DC sisters every time my mother, sisters, brother and myself attend mass at their chapel. They always bring with them their clients (small children waiting to be adopted) at mass. I didn’t really know any Sisters, but I wanted to be one like them. I grew up in an area where women religious were visible, plentiful and in great variety. The Daughters of Charity, the ICM Sisters, the Sisters Disciples of the Divine Master living near our parish church and St. Paul the Chartres. I grew up going to Mass on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays and that was the extent of my religious involvement.

The Belgian sister named Sr. Digna Schultz,ICM, was the first nun I know and she is very close to my family. She recruited me to join the Chiro it is a youth organization in the parish where we were taught prayers, art work, singing, leadership training with some out of school children in the parish. We were trained to become leaders and I reached that stage being a leader in our parish. I was attracted with the ICM sisters at first but I did not pursue that dream because I wanted to finish my studies and take medicine. That dream was kept it in my heart for several years until I got to know Sr. Malou Cristobal and Sr. Vinya Borromeo they were invited by our spiritual director to give talk on prayers and shared their vocation story. I was not attracted
much with the Good Shepherd because of their stance during martial law. The sisters in Kadasig community were “matapang” just like Sr. Christine Tan who is courageous to fight against late Pres.Marcos the dictator. I asked my spiritual director to refer me to other congregation where I can observe and he brought me to the Carmelites of Cebu. I did not stay long because they asked me to join the contemplatives which I did not like I only wanted to be an out sister- to entertain their visitors. I went home and still have that feeling to be a religious someday.. In my last semester in college, Sr. Vinya visited me one day and asked me if I like to join her in her apostolate in Carbon. Since I like the work being with the poor scavengers, street children, I joined her every weekend in Carbon. But there was a time that I do not want to go to Carbon and helped sister because I still have to settled down on my studies and as a graduating student- many requirements to prepare, but she was very consistent ‘ matyaga’ always waiting for me to go with her. One day, going along with Sr. Vincent, I had a flash of insight that the Lord might be calling me to be an RGS . I had the chance to see the sisters in Kadasig community and they were very nice. I felt at home being with them. Sr. Mary Suzanne Sinense was the superior and the sisters were all good. When I saw them , I was inexplicably drawn to speak with them. I was attracted to the joy in their faces. I now know that it was the Holy Spirit leading me, and somehow I signed up for a Come and See weekend organized by Sr. Vincent. I had the chance to encounter some of the sisters especially Sr. Mercedes Yap she was rather strict to me but she was also the one who challenged me about my vocation. She prayed for me to St. Therese of the Child Jesus for discernment. When I graduated college Sr. Vinya asked me to write Sr. Angelita Gutierrez the formator in the novitiate. Lingling asked me to come and bring all the requirements I need. My family did not stop me to enter the nunnery my mother was very encouraging and she prayed for my perseverance. June 1976 I came to the Good Shepherd. I was met by Sr. Joseph Olaguer and Sr. Christine Tan who were in the recreation room that day when I arrived together with the other aspirant. My feeling when I arrived was joy to “be home” I felt comfortable and a feeling of being one already with the sisters.

When I joined the Good Shepherd I am always happy with my work. He gave me the grace [to answer his call], and I just feel a “real peace” about it. I am happy to serve His anawim wherever I was missioned. My happiest was when I missioned in San Luis, Agusan Sur being with the poor farmers and lumads. Journeying with them in their struggle for land and human rights issue. And now with the prostituted women and children. doing God’s work is very challenging. Being with the exploited and marginalized you can not help but be with them in their struggles and suffering. When I made my final profession I chose St. Luke’s gospel as my guiding line…(Luke 4:18 -19) The spirit of the lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. he has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind and to let the oppressed go free. This call brought me great joy and hope which have only grown as I follow Him.

The Lord has really captured my heart…and I followed Him willingly with all my heart serving Him and His people. Journeying with the prostituted women and children is for me a grace God has let me experienced of caring His lost sheep. There are still many “lost sheep” I still have to find. I cannot begin to express my love for this ministry and my continued gratitude to God for giving me gifts to be effective. God has been with me throughout the journey of my life, giving me guidance and grace in all that I do.

-Sr. M. Antonietta Go, RGS




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario