lunes, 15 de julio de 2013

The Eudist Prayer of the 19th of July, 2013

The Associates of San Diego of the North American Province, are happy to present the  Eudist Prayer of the 19th of July, 2013!
 
This month of July is a time of celebration of Freedom and Liberty which touches us in our secular and spiritual life.
All around the world we see a quest for Freedom and Liberty. What does it mean for us Christians?

Scripture Reading: Gal.5:1- 13 For freedom Christ set us free; so stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery. For you were called for freedom, brothers and sisters. But do not use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh; rather, serve one another through love. 

Saint John Eudes teaches us the road to freedom by:

Renouncing Sin: in the Interior Colloquies Saint John Eudes speaks about sin as constricting: “ What does the sinner do? He thinks more about himself than he does of God, he loves himself more than he loves god; he prefers his own will, his pleasure, his glory, over God’s will, pleasure and glory. He wants to be in charge of himself as if he belonged to himself and not to God, as if he were his own principal. He wants no other rule than his own inclination, his blinded spirit and his unruly will”. (O.C II. 159) “To sin is to disgrace the unity of the Father and Son by destroying its image; it extinguishes the spirit of God.” O.C. II, 187
Renouncing Self: Saint John Eudes continues to point the way to freedom by helping us discover how self-love keeps us from welcoming the life of God in us: “If we want to follow in Jesus’ footstep and belong to Him, we need to renounce ourselves, that is to say, our own spirit, our desires, our will, and self-love. ” (O.C. I, 184) “Oh Jesus, I renounce myself my own spirit and my own will. I give myself to you, to your Holy Spirit. Guide me in this action according to your holy will. “

Renouncing the World: Saint John Eudes states that Christians must be detached from the “world and worldly things “ he explains it in this way: “By “the world” I mean the corrupt and disorderly life some lead in the world, the spirit that prevails there, the pernicious laws and maxims by which these people live. By “worldly things” I mean all that the world loves, cherishes and seeks: honor and praise, futile pleasures, riches and relationships based on self-love and self-interest.“ (O.C. I, 178 ) “ If you really want to be Christians, that is to say, to belong perfectly to Jesus Christ, you must renounce the world. I do not mean that it is necessary for you to leave the world and settle between four walls, unless God calls you to it, but that you glory being a Christian, belonging to Christ and preferring the values and truths he left us in his Gospel to the maxims and pernicious falsehoods of the world. “ (O.C. I, 180)

Reflection:

Let us now reflect on the freedom that has been won for us by our Lord and Saviour. Let us gain Victory in combatting sin, and wage Holy Warfare against the ties that bind us to the world and cry for Liberty in detachment of self and the world.

Conclusion:

Saint John speaks from experience when he says: “ How sweet it is to be free and detached from all things!... What joy, what delight for a soul to be able to say in truth: My God, here I am, free and detached from everything! My beloved is all mine and I am all his!” (Songs of Songs 2:16) O.C. I, 189-190

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario